The Advisory Board
The center has a highly technical multi-departmental/multi-sectoral advisory board. Members in this board include representation from Ministry of Health, WHO, key departmentssuchaspaediatrics,obstetricsand gynaecology. The chair of the advisory board is Assoc Prof Anthony Mbonye, Commissioner Health Services, MoH. Other members include Prof Pius Okong, Prof Stefan Peterson, Dr Jesca Nsungwa, Dr Olive Ssentumbwe, Dr Gelasius Mukasa and Dr Sarah Kiguli
Stefan Swartling Peterson
Stefan is a Professor in the Global Health division of Karolinska Institutetâ€™s Department of Public Health Services, working with the Health Systems and Policy research group. He is also a Professor of Global Health at Uppsala University and a Visiting Professor at Makerere University in Uganda.
As a researcher and medical doctor, he has done extensive field work in Tanzania and Uganda, and has worked with organizations such as the WHO, Sida, the Gates Foundation, and the European Union. He was also a cofounder of Medicins Sans Frontieres Sweden, the Iganga Health and Demographic Surveillance Site, and CCM Task Force Operations Research Group.
Health Systems and Policy Research Group (Karolinska Institutet), International Maternal and Child Health Unit (Uppsala University)
Stefan has experience from supervising PhDs and Masterâ€™s students from both Karolinska Institutet and Uppsala University. He has led a 7-week health systems research Masterâ€™s course since 2012. Past teaching experience includes being a course leader on Research Methods for Child Health, a coordinator for the International Training Program course on Child Survival, a co-organizer and teacher on Health Policy Planning and Management, and the leader of weekly PhD seminar series.
Stefanâ€™s research focuses on bridging the â€œknow-doâ€ gap: the space between what we know about care evidence and what we do in reality, especially in the realm of newborn and child health.
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Community-based care
- Quality improvement
- Capacity development
- Non communicable diseases
Other interests: iCCM
Disciplines: Health Systems Research
Regions: Low income countries in sub-Saharan Africa
Countries: Uganda, Tanzania
- Peterson S. Assessing the scale-up of child survival interventions. Lancet. 2010 Feb 13;375(9714):530-1.
- Kayemba Nalwadda C, Guwatudde D, Waiswa P, Kiguli J, Namazzi G, Namutumba S, Tomson G, Peterson S. Community health workers â€“ a resource for identification and referral of sick newborns in rural Uganda. Trop Med Int Health. 2013 Apr 2. doi:10.1111/tmi.12106. PMID:23551394
- Waiswa P, Peterson S, Tomson G, Pariyo GW. Poor newborn care practices â€“ a population based survey in eastern Uganda. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2010 Feb 23;10:9
- Nalwadda Ck, Waiswa P, Kiguli J, Namazzi G, Namutamba S, Peterson S, et al. High compliance with newborn community-to-facility referral in eastern Uganda:.an opportunity to improve newborn survival. PloS one 2013;8(11):e81610-